To choose the highest quality citrus fruits for the festive table, firstly, you need to find out the weather in the country where they were brought from. Indeed, in fact, the taste and quality of citrus fruits depend on the weather during their ripening period. Citrus plants are unique because they love heat, but they also need moisture. With a lack of moisture, the tree, in order not to die, takes moisture from the fruit, and therefore, instead of a juicy fruit, a pitiful resemblance is obtained.
However, it is often unlikely that our compatriots will burden themselves with the work of looking for: dry or wet was the ripening season of citrus fruits in Spain, Abkhazia, Egypt or Turkey. Several guidelines can help here.
- Citrus fruits cannot ripen during storage, such as apricots or tomatoes, so the fruit must be ripe;
- Choose heavier fruits, as they are more juicy;
- Perfectly ripe lemon has a rich yellow rind, closer to orange color, it is firm, soft, it can be easily peeled off; however, such lemons spoil quickly and suppliers do not risk getting involved with such a product; and yet look for a fruit that matches this description at least a little;
- If citrus fruits are hard, light and do not smell, do not buy them, such fruits are very bitter and not juicy;
- Since citrus peel is rich in essential oils in addition to vitamin C, it is healthy to eat it, but wash the fruit before eating;
- Only buy thick-skinned fruits if they are large enough and you are going to juice them;
- The highest content of vitamin C is not in lemon (there is citric acid there), but in lime and orange; buy only smooth, smooth and heavy fruit, then you won't be mistaken;
- Buy grapefruit considering the same signs (the color of the fruit changes from greenish to pink, and this is not an indicator of maturity). This is the lowest calorie fruit of all citrus fruits and can be consumed by those looking to lose weight. The bitterness of the fruit is given by the naringenin substance, which helps to improve the digestive processes. To get rid of the bitterness, remove the transparent skin from the fruit, mainly there are bitter glycosides.