Table of contents:
- Unimaginably rich palette of Coleus leaves
- 1. Coleus "Superfine Rainbow Multicolor"
- 2. Coleus "Tikld Pink"
- 3. Coleus "Premium San Chocolat Coverd Cherry"
- 4. Coleus "Wizard Sunset"
- 5. Coleus "Black Dragon"
- 6. Coleus "Superfine Rainbow Vulcano"
- 7. Coleus "Wizard Scarlet"
- 8. Coleus "Wizard Golden"
- 9. Coleus "Golden Sands"
- 10. Coleus "Henna"
- Conditions without which bright coleus cannot be grown
Video: 10 Stunningly Vibrant Varieties Of Coleus. Home Care. Photo
Coleus is a unique, unpretentious plant, famous for its ease of cultivation. But modern coleuses, thanks to breeders, have outwardly transformed almost beyond recognition. This is the most colorful of all decorative leafy plants! There is no shade, effect or combination of colors that could not be found on the leaves of the "nettles" that once almost disappeared from the windowsills. At the same time, even against the background of unimaginable diversity, there are unique cultivars that literally dazzle with an unexpected explosion of color.
Unimaginably rich palette of Coleus leaves
In Coleus varieties (Solenostemon), you can find the desired shade, if not in the main color, then in the details. The leaves are colored metallic silver and copper, bronze and gold, cold emerald, all shades of green (from almost black to aniseed) and even bright pink-fuchsia, lemon-yellow or orange, atypical for deciduous crops.
It is the rich color gamut that makes Coleus an ideal "textile" plant, allowing you to select green accents for the interior, the textures and fabrics presented in it. But the beauty of the velvety, wrinkled, surprisingly pleasant to the touch surface of the leaves should not be underestimated.
In this plant, even the shape resembling nettle leaves is not at all a necessary feature. Coleus leaves are lanceolate, heart-shaped, oval, large and small (from 2 to 20 cm both in length and in diameter), wrinkled and smooth, embossed, with varying degrees of jagged edges (from serrated to crenate, serrated, deeply incised, wavy and scalloped) and even with lobed and feathery variations.
Hundreds of different variations of leaf shapes and colors are the main thing that attracts both gardeners and florists to Coleus. None of the dozens of varieties that can be found in flower shops and garden centers can be called purely indoor or intended only for outdoor cultivation. Amazing plasticity, the ability to look equally good in pots, and in flower girls, and in the soil, makes Coleus even more unique and desirable.
1. Coleus "Superfine Rainbow Multicolor"
Coleus " Superfine Rainbow Multicolor" is a unique variety with chaotic patches of salmon pink, bright yellow, grass green and dark red, which are mixed on each leaf in different extravagant combinations, reminiscent of camouflage. Other varieties with multicolor ripples:
- "Chaint Exhibition Mable" (Giant Exhibition Marble);
- "Tickle Pickle» (Tickled Pickle);
- "Mosaic Fairview» (Fairway Mosaic);
- "Vote Stumi» (Stormy Weather);
- "Victoria" (Victoria);
- "Paisley Show» (Paisley Shawl);
- "Anna" (Anna).
2. Coleus "Tikld Pink"
Coleus "Tickled Pink" (Tickled Pink) - the pinkest variety in existence with curly, whimsically twisting leaves. Dazzling neon fuchsia pink is combined with a wine border, but this does not detract from the brightness of the plant. Other varieties with neon pink:
- "Lazy Ruby» (Ruby Laser);
- "Flamboint » (Flamboyant).
3. Coleus "Premium San Chocolat Coverd Cherry"
Coleus " Premium Sun Chocolate Covered Cherry" is a unique late-flowering variety that retains its decorative effect for a very long time with a raspberry-pink feather in the center of the leaves, accentuated by an uneven dark cherry border and thin, affecting only the rounded cloves at the edges, with bright light green border. The wavy edges spoil the heart-shaped shape somewhat, but the bushes branch densely, they are compact, suitable for borders and containers. Other varieties of Coleus with a play of pink, cherry and bright green:
- "Prince Bishop" (Prince Bishop);
- "Hat Blidin» (Bleeding Heart);
- "Habreike" (Heartbreaker);
- " Superfayn Rainbow Pride Color» (Superfine the Color the Rainbow Pride);
- "Votymelen» (Watermelon);
- "Kong Rose" (Kong Rose).
4. Coleus "Wizard Sunset"
Coleus "Wizard Sunset" (Wizard Sunset) - the brightest orange variety. The serrated edge, highlighted with a light yellow border, makes it appear marbled. Light green spots are almost invisible against the background of the watercolor play of salmon, apricot, coral and gold. The bushes are very dense, in the fall they are repainted in pure gold. Other varieties with a blazing orange effect:
- "Fevey orange» (Fairway of Orange);
- Fakels (Freckles);
- "Fancy Fez Kupe» (Fancy Feathers Copper's).
5. Coleus "Black Dragon"
Coleus " Black Dragon" (Black Dragon) - the legendary Coleus with large, frilly leaves, on which the glowing ruby center emphasizes the velvety-wine color around the edges. Other varieties with almost black leaves (often in addition to emerald details):
- "Premium San Duck Shokoled» (Premium of Sun Dark Chocolate);
- " Premium Sun Chocolate Mint";
- "Con Scarlet» (Kong Scarlett);
- "Black Beauty" (Black Beauty).
6. Coleus "Superfine Rainbow Vulcano"
Coleus "Superfine Rainbow Volcano" (Superfine Rainbow Volcano) is a dazzling scarlet red variety with a serrated edge, slightly highlighted by a bright green border and as if powdered with dark red and wine shades. It seems like a scarlet fire both from afar and near. Other varieties with red velvet leaves:
- "Maharajah» (Maharaja);
- "Wizard Velvet Red» (Wizard of Red Velvet);
- "Salsa Rog» (Salsa Roja);
- "Cut Slipe» (Ruby Slipper);
- " Exotic Nature " (Exotic Nature).
7. Coleus "Wizard Scarlet"
Coleus "Wizard Scarlet" is one of the most spectacular contrasting varieties, in which luminescent bright green along the border is combined with a feather-shaped wine center, highlighted in the center by a vein. The bushes are very neat, cushion-like. Other varieties with cherry-green combination:
- Scarlet Poncho;
- "Sole Flare" (Solar Flare);
- "Kon red" (Kong Red).
8. Coleus "Wizard Golden"
Coleus "Wizard Golden" looks refreshingly neon from afar. A dazzling light green-aniseed variety with small oval leaves and densely branched, low, but very dense "pillow" bushes. Other varieties with lime and aniseed variations:
- "Fevey Yellou» (Fairway Yellow);
- " Pele";
- "Lime Tikld» (Tickled Lime);
- "Lemon Chiffon" (Lemon Chiffon).
9. Coleus "Golden Sands"
Golden Sands Coleus is a charming whimsical ruffle variety whose scalloped, deeply cut golden leaves create lush cushions and cascades. Other varieties with dazzling shades of yellow:
- "Saybirian " (Siberian);
- " Freshness";
10. Coleus "Henna"
Coleus " Henna" (Henna) - the brightest representative of the "feather" coleus with very narrow and long teeth along the edge of small leaves. The combination of a yellow aniseed plate with light wine edges creates an unprecedented contrast. Thanks to the original sharp-toothed border, the variety with a similar leaf shape - " Tilt a Whirl " attracts attention.
Conditions without which bright coleus cannot be grown
No matter how undemanding this plant may seem, without suitable conditions and regular care, it will not be possible to fully reveal the full potential of the variety and enjoy the beauty of its leaves. In order not to be disappointed in extravagant Coleuses, it is worth remembering a few basic requirements:
- Coleus of the brightest varieties are more photophilous than their less original counterparts, they need to provide diffused but bright lighting - without the risk of getting sunburn at the height of summer, but also without strong shading, in which patterns and textures will disappear.
- In the garden, coleus will prefer cool places, in rooms - cool and stable. But do not abuse the plant's endurance - stable temperatures, protection from drafts and cold winds will allow the greenery to become even more beautiful.
- The soil for Coleus should be loose, breathable and nutritious.
- After planting, the coleus are fed every 2-3 weeks with fertilizers for decorative deciduous plants. For indoor plants, long-acting fertilizers can be used.
- Coleus do not like droughts and dampness, they water the plants often, but without frills, allowing the soil to dry out.
- The leaves of plants should not get wet, unnecessary spraying and showering will destroy the Coleus.
For any wheel, one should not forget about pruning. To enjoy the beauty of the leaves, you need to prevent flowering, pinch the tops in time to thicken and keep the bushes in shape all the time, preventing the shoots from stretching and accumulating dry and damaged leaves. Coleus easily tolerate even a strong haircut. Constant cleaning and careful hygiene are the best preventive measures to keep Coleus healthy.
Coleus are very volatile. No matter how hard you try to create optimal conditions, you should be prepared for the Coleus to differ from the “ideal” - a sample of the characteristics of the variety. The thing is that even small changes in temperature, humidity and lighting change both saturation and shades. Each varietal Coleus is not only unique, but also always different in different rooms and places. Two bushes can be different even on the same windowsill!